Personal Injury Law in Selma, AL
Tourism in Selma is up, and interest in the city means the roads are seeing increased traffic from the southeast region. Rt. 22 travels across much of the state from west to east in its 168 miles and through Selma from the North of Maplesville. US Highway 80, a major U.S. highway from the west, sips south through Selma and continues to Benton and Montgomery.
For tourists and visitors, this major highway features the Black Belt Nature and Heritage Trail, the Selma to Montgomery March National Historic Trail, and the Selma to Montgomery March Byway, all part of the National Scenic Byways program.
The downside to so many roadways is that statistics show one-in-three of us will be involved in a serious auto accident in our driving lifetime.
Personal Injury – Auto Accidents
One would think major highways see the bulk of auto accidents. Still, it is the rural roads where you are more likely to encounter a fatal auto accident, according to the Federal Highway Administration.
In 2020, there were 932 people killed in 853 fatal crashes on Alabama roads. And with each fatality, there are about 40 injuries, reports Drive Safe Alabama. Large trucks, motorcycles, and passenger vehicles all add to the statistics.
Half of the fatalities occur at night, while 62% happen in rural areas, a rate of fatal crashes twice that seen on the interstate.
Some reasons for more fatalities on rural roads may be:
- Driving Tired or Distracted – It’s easier to fall asleep behind the wheel when you are alone on the road
- Trying to Pass – Many rural roads are two lanes and may contain hidden curves in the road, making it unwise to pass another car
- Deer on the Road – And other wildlife can cause a fatal impact with your vehicle or cause the driver to veer suddenly off the road
- Drinking and Driving – Drunk driving appears to be more prevalent in rural areas where drivers think they won’t be caught
- First Responders – Without a lot of traffic, someone seriously injured in a rural road accident may have to wait to receive medical attention
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, speeding, alcohol impairment, and not wearing a seat belt are the leading causes of car crash fatalities.
Personal Injury – Slip and Fall
A slip and fall accident can occur almost anywhere, in a retail store, workplace, or swimming pool, where a property has not been kept safe for visitors. A slip and fall accident can also happen when pedestrians are distracted by their phones.
The expectation is that the property owner will keep the area in a safe condition that will not injure you, and when they fail, you can make a personal injury claim.
Personal Injury – Boating
Whether on a boat or jet ski, it is illegal to be consuming alcohol while boating and when intoxicated. The Alabama Law Enforcement Agency reports that a drunk boater is usually the first suspect when there is a collision between boats, a boat collides with a bridge, or when two ski jets collide.
With many lakes and reservoirs in the Selma area, a personal injury on the water may result in severe injuries or death due to the inexperience or intoxication of an irresponsible boat operator.
Other Types of Personal Injury
- Dog bites – Not everyone is a responsible dog owner. If you have been attacked or bitten by a vicious dog, you may be able to file a personal injury claim against the owner to compensate you for your medical bills and pain.
- Workplace Injuries – Worksites are notorious for having many moving parts, whether machinery, large trucks, suspended materials in a crane, or open pits, all variables that can injure those on the premises.
- Dangerous and Defective Products – Just because a product is sold in a store does not mean it has gone through rigorous safety checks. We find that many injuries occur from items you use every day.
Your Selma, AL Personal Injury Attorney
Chip Nix believes everyone deserves to have a strong advocate by their side when they are injured.
Whether a spinal cord injury, a burn or bite, traumatic head injury, broken bones, internal or soft tissue injuries, or an accident due to another person’s negligence is not your fault, and you deserve to be compensated.
Mr. Nix will determine the negligent party and whether there is a third party who may additionally be responsible; your degree of injury; and, in the case of traumatic injury, what it will take to make you whole again, for now, and the future.
He has experience hiring experts who will assess your life care needs and extensive experience negotiating with the insurer for the at-fault party or taking your case before a jury.
Chip Nix is the attorney who will aggressively fight for your rights during this difficult time. Please do not hesitate to call him for a consultation at 334-203-6669.