Car Accident Attorney in Selma, Alabama
Cities as unique and historic as Selma are part of what makes Alabama such a rewarding place to live. Although Selma is somewhat removed from Montgomery, one of the things that it has in common with more populated areas of the state is car crashes.
Car accidents occur daily, and some can be incredibly serious. This becomes extremely personal when it happens to you or someone you love. When a car accident causes injury or even death, and another party was at fault, you may be entitled to financial compensation.
Chip Nix, Attorney at Law, works with individuals and their families to recover damages after car accidents in Selma and throughout the greater Montgomery area. Our personal injury team is here to protect your rights and fight for your financial future. Contact us now to schedule a free consultation.
Car Accident Statistics for Selma Alabama
According to the Alabama Department of Transportation’s (ALDOT) latest figures, there were 973 crashes in Dallas County in 2017. This resulted in 460 injuries and 11 deaths. Of those crashes, a majority (58%) took place in urban (city) areas as opposed to rural parts of the county.
Since Selma is the largest city in Dallas County as well as the county seat, it is also going to have the most traffic activity. In 2017, there were 550 crashes in Selma resulting in 219 injuries and 3 deaths.
Alabama Car Accidents Laws You Should Know
Each state treats car accidents differently. While knowing the law is our job, it doesn’t hurt to understand your rights as a driver or passenger. While there are countless federal, state, and local regulations that might apply to your case, a few of the most important ones include:
- At-fault car insurance rules. Alabama is an “at fault” state when it comes to personal injury and auto insurance claims. This means that the driver that was responsible for the accident will have to pay for your damages. In other words, the at-fault driver’s insurance company will pay first.
- Contributory negligence laws. Alabama courts use a legal standard known as “contributory negligence” that could severely impact your case. If you were partially responsible for the accident, even just 1%, you would not be able to collect compensation from the other party, even if they were almost entirely at fault.
- Types of damages available. If you were injured in an accident, you have the right to claim compensation for various damages. This includes lifetime medical care, lost wages and earning capacity, disability, and pain and suffering.
What Causes Car Accidents in Selma?
While every car crash is unique, we’ve found over the years that there are some commonalities. Not only can understanding the frequent factors involved in car accidents help you avoid these tragedies, but it also helps figure out who was at fault in some cases. Some of the most common reasons that these incidents happen include:
- Distracted driving
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Drowsy driving
- Not following the rules of the road
- Inexperienced/teen drivers
- Breakdowns and poor vehicle maintenance
- Defective parts
- Roadway hazards
At the center of most car accidents is some type of carelessness or negligence. Dangerous roadways, lack of vehicle maintenance, and driver error are all preventable issues that would not occur without attention and due care.
Things Not to Do After a Car Accident in Alabama
After you’ve been in a car accident, you’re probably angry and confused. While your first priority might be put everything back to the way it was before, it is vital that you protect your legal rights. Too many accident victims harm their chances of securing a fair settlement, so these are few mistakes to avoid:
- Admitting fault. Never discuss fault with an insurance company, the other driver, or anyone. Don’t apologize to anyone but rather ask if everyone is ok and start collecting information.
- Waiting to seek medical care. Even if you feel fine, you might have an injury with delayed symptoms. Seek medical care immediately for documentation.
- Accepting a quick settlement offer. Quick settlement offers from insurance companies are almost always for much less than your case is worth. Do NOT accept an offer from the other party’s insurer without speaking with an attorney first.
- Representing yourself. While it is possible to represent yourself, it’s a better idea to speak with a qualified attorney that understands Alabama personal injury law and the litigation system. This will give you the best chance of recovering full and fair compensation.
Experiencing a Car Crash in Selma
A variety of things will happen after a car accident in Alabama. The police write and file reports, victims seek medical treatment, witnesses give statements, and insurance companies begin the claims process. No one plans to get into a crash, and life after one of these events looks much different than the minutes and seconds leading up to it.
On top of dealing with catastrophic property damage and debilitating injuries, our clients often find that they are now facing financial hardship. Work may not be possible without a vehicle and with painful injuries. Skyrocketing medical bills continue to pile up. As the aftermath of a car crash continues to produce more wreckage, our experienced legal team can step in to give you and your loved ones some relief.
Why You Need an Experienced Selma Car Accident Lawyer
At Chip Nix, Attorney at Law, we do much more than take personal injury cases to court. As a firm with a strong reputation for protecting the rights of accident victims, we put our tested negotiating skills to work on each car accident case we handle. Your number one focus should be on your physical and emotional recovery, and we will take care of the rest.
With a skilled personal injury attorney in your corner, you have a much greater chance of securing the compensation you need and deserve for your losses. Insurance companies are a driving factor in these cases, and they are known for taking advantage of people who are in a vulnerable position.
If you or someone you care about has been involved in a car crash in Selma, you only get one chance at dealing with the insurance company properly. Allow us to put our proven resources to work on your behalf. Contact our office today at 334-279-7770 or reach out to us online to schedule a free consultation.